Pages

Wednesday 15 November 2017

ONE HEARTBEAT AWAY - PART 57

                                             
ONE HEARTBEAT                                                  AWAY 

  - PART 57

(Mark Cahill's Book)

Fifth Commandment

Honor thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord, thy God, giveth thee. 
Exodus 20:12

This is a completely unconditional statement. We are supposed to honour our parents just because they are our parents. We don't get to choose who our parents are. We are to obey them just because God put them over us. We are to acknowledge the significance and great value of our parents.

In return we get great blessing: long life.
This is emphasized in the New Testament:

CHILDREN obey your parents in the 
Lord, for this is right. Honor thy father and thy mother, which is the first commandment with promise; that it  may be well with thee, and thou 
mayest live long on the earth. 
(Ephesians 6:1-3)

We dishonor our parents when we 
treat them lightly or with disrespect. 
Our attitude toward our parents will precondition our attitude toward the authority figures that we encounter in life. 

This commandment 
has nothing to do with 
our opinion of our                  
parent's worthiness, but deals with the obedience and respect children 
should show toward their parents, no
matter how worthy or unworthy the parents may seem.

"Foolishness,"   says the Bible, (Proverbs : 22:15)  "is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of 
correction shall drive it far from 
him."

That is, we learn to be wise by the correction of our parents, which 
deters us from obeying foolish 
childish impulses. We don't like being deterred from foolishness, but it 
serves to help us grow in wisdom. 
If we rebel against our parent's care 
for us, we are being worse than 
foolish.

For rebellion is as the sin of 
witchcraft and stubborness is as iniquity and idolatry. 
(1st Samuel  15:23)

God considers rebellion the same 
as witchcraft. Why would that be? 
Because witchcraft is turning to a source other than God to get results.  
And rebellion is refusing guidance 
and determining, instead, to impose your own will on a person or 
situation. 

Stubborness is as iniquity and 
idolatry. If we do not submit to our parents, we do not, and cannot 
submit to God either.

Basketball was my sport when I was 
a young man. When I was in high school, we were playing Columbia 
High School for the sub-region championship. The first time we 
played them we beat them 69-66. 
That night I scored 36 points. If you 
ever score more than half your 
team's , you've had a good game. 

The next time we played them for 
the championship, I scored 9 points 
and we lost. I was terrible.Late in the game I felt that the referee had made 
a bad call. I'd been knocked to the ground but he didn't call the foul.

 I slapped the floor and  said "Get in 
the game   Ref!"  He gave me a 
technical foul. I flipped him off and 

  
                                      actually cursed 
at him. He gave me another technical foul. I definitely earned that one.

As this was happening, my parents 
had a perfect view of their lovely, disobedient son, making a fool out of himself.

When I went home that night, after 
the game, my parents didn't say a 
word. They didn't have to . I knew I 
had stepped over the line of bad behaviour. I actually did the Carl 
Lewis long jump over the line of bad behaviour. I was not a believer in God 
at that point in my life, but even then 
I knew I should not have dishonored 
my parents like that.

Once, during the night  after  I had spoken at an event, an 18 year old 
man came up to talk to me. But he couldn't talk at first. He just sat 
there and wept.

Eventually he told me that when I mentioned this commandment of 
God  to honor our parents, God 
brought to mind all the things he 
had done to dishonor  his parents 
since he was five years old.

Have you honored your parents 
since the moment of birth until 
now?  Just like the rest of us you 
have broken this commandment.

next post 20th November









No comments:

Post a Comment