Pages

Sunday 3 July 2016

TWENTY SIXTEEN - PART SEVENTEEN

                                         LIVING WITH  BPD              PART FOUR

  In 2009, due to ill health           and my declining years,           I moved into a section               of the house where Ruth           was then living, but as it 

was a very large house we did not have too much contact with one another and so I was still pretty much unaware of the realities of BPD. 

I knew that she was on medication and that she was being treated by a psychiatrist and I had read a few articles relating to this illness and had sometimes had a glimpse of her mood swings, but as she had a partner who was a medical doctor and also a very controlling person, I could not get involved.

 In actual fact I believed for a long time that everything was under control, and saw no need to get involved.

Then in September, 2015, due to unforseen circumstances, we were forced to move and now it is just the two of us in a much smaller house. Over the past six months I have learned that everything is not under control and have now set out to educate myself so that I can help her.



 I love her so much and it hurts to see how much she suffers, but at the same time she inflicts so much pain on me by her mood swings.

What I have learned is that for a BPD sufferer  is that they must avoid stress. Sleeping, eating, relaxing, healthy eating and deep breathing are all very important tools for their welfare. Don't neglect any of them.

Avoid chocolate, caffeine and processed foods. Limit fat and sugar. High carbohydrates can cause  mood crashes.  Space your meals so that your blood sugar never dips too low. Take Omega 3 supplements. Be careful of over the counter medications and cold and flu medication, they can have adverse effects on your BPD medication.

For the Carer who lives with a BPD sufferer Your
love and support can make a difference in the treatment and recovery process. You can offer hope and encouragement, keep track of symptoms and be a partner in treatment. But don't neglect yourself - you need to find a balance in supporting your loved one and taking care of yourself.

During a manic episode you might have to cope with reckless antics, outrageous demands, explosive outbursts and irresponsible decisions and once the whirlwind of mania has passed it often falls on you to deal with the consequences.

During episodes of depression you may have to pick up the slack for a loved one who doesn't have the energy to meet responsibilities at home or at work. 

The good news is that most people can stabilize their moods with proper treatment, medication and support. You can play  significant role - just having someone you can talk to can make all the difference to your loved one's outlook and motivation.

Learn about BPD, encourage the person to get help, be patient, be understanding.  Accept loved one's limits. Accept your own limits. Reduce stress.

People with BPD do better when they have the support of family and friends.

I have put my trust in the Lord my God. He will bring us through this difficult time. He has never let me down, and He never will.

next post  10th July


No comments:

Post a Comment